Protection and Prevention From Parasites (For Dogs & Puppies)
Portugal is a southern climate and there are many diseases in Portugal that are not as great of a concern for pets living in colder climates. If you have recently moved to Portugal or if you have a new dog or puppy please consult your veterinarian about what protection your animal needs. The following is a guide only.
Protections and Preventions:
1. General Protection for leish/tickfever/heartworm (and flees):
- Monthly Spot-On treatment every 28 days. (We prefer Activyl but will also use pulvex as they seem to be the most effective. DO NOT USE Frontline – it does not protect against sandfly/ leishmanioisis.)
- SCALIBOR Collar or Seresto Collar (apply every 6-9 months)
- General wormer every 4 months
2. ADDITIONAL Protection against heartworm
- Monthly Milbemax or heartgard
- Annual Vaccine against heartworm please consult your vet.
3. ADDITIONAL Protection against leishmaniosis
- Beginning 2011 an annual vaccine against leishmaniosis was introduced. Please consult your vet.
IMPORTANT NOTES: Do NOT use dog treatments on cats. Many of the spot on treatments made for dogs are extremely poisonous for cats.